Monday, September 29, 2008

The Equator

Last Friday, we were able to go to the equator. It was only about a 45 minute drive. We took a few stops on the way before we got there. First, we drove to a daycare about 15 minutes away from the equator. We brought a snack to share with the kids and some toys to donate. We played with the kids and sang songs and just had a really fun time. The kids were really excited to see us. There was this beautiful little girl who just wanted to sit on my lap the whole time. It was so neat to see the excitement on their faces when we walked through the gate for the first time. We played with them for about a half hour and then we were on our way again.

Next stop was the crater. It´s this place by several mountains. The mountains form a circle leaving a crater in the center. It was beautiful. Right in the middle of the crater, there´s a farm with a really old house in the center. I tried to get a picture of the house but we were too far up so it didn´t turn out.

After, we went to the equator. It was awesome! It was so weird to think that I was standing in the center of the world. I learned that Quito literally means middle of the world. While at the equator, I found out that you can indeed, balance an egg on the head of a nail at the equator. Also, your balance is totally thrown out of whack when you´re walking in a straight line with your eyes closed.

After we left the Equator national park. we went to a restaurant to eat. We were going to go to the place where the original equator was but we were all starving so we didn´t. I guess when the French first measured the equator, they were about 200 meters off. So there is a monument that marks where the first equator was. We didn´t go there because we were too hungry. So anyway, at the restaurant, OSSO paid for a guinea pig for us to eat. Of course I had to try it. It actually tasted pretty good. I only ate a little bit because I was curious to what it tasted like. I can´t say that I would want to eat it on a regular basis but it didn´t taste bad at all. It actually tasted like KFC. This random stuffed goat at the entrance to the Equator national park. I just had to get a picture with it.

Straddling the hemispheres. I felt like I was in two places at once.

Sitting on the equator. Sorry, I couldn´t figure out how to flip the picture right side up.



The equator.


These spiders are found in the amazon. This is only a baby. I guess they get about twice as big. I hope I don´t see any when I´m in the amazon. The only comforting thought about this spider is that it´s not poisonous. The big spiders aren´t poisonous. It´s the little and colorful ones you gotta watch out for.


This guy was so smart. He was the information guy at the crater. He knew Spanish, English, French, and Italian so that when tourists came through, he could speak to them in their language so they could undestand.

1 comment:

J + A said...

That spider looks super gross. You seem like you are having a lot of fun!!!!