Saturday, October 4, 2008

Special Experience

Today was a great day! Probably close to the top of my highlight list since I´ve been here. And I have to admit that my emotions were kind of close to the surface. This morning, I was working with the little babies. I have shift with them about once a week besides when I have night shift. Most of the time, it is not my favorite shift because it can get a little boring because the babies can´t do anything. But today, it was awesome! One of the babies was a little fussy. The rest of the babies were asleept. So I put her in one of the swings and sat on the ground next to her and rocked her back and forth and sang to her. I went through all the primary songs I could remember. When I was singing I Am a Child of God, I started thinking about how she really is a child of God and that He loves her very much. I thought about how precious she is and how I was sent to her to help her to feel the love Heavenly Father has for her. It made me realize how much I love her as well as all of my kids. I was so overwhelmed that I had tears in my eyes and had to stop singing because my voice was cracking.

Then, this afternoon, I had shift in the same orphanage but working with the older kids (the 1-2 year olds.) I was changing one of the boys into his pajamas and for some reason, I have no idea why, he just started laughing. It was the cutest thing. He was uncontrollably laughing and it made me start laughing. We were both in the room just laughing our head off and I´m sure everyone else thought I was crazy but I didn´t care. That´s one of my favorite things about working with these kids... the one on one time I have with each kid. They are all different, with different personalities and talents and I love them all for it.

I love these kids so much. I feel like I am a parent to these precious children. When they get hurt or something, my heart breaks for them. I am so blessed to be able to care for these children. I have gotten so much more from them then they could ever get from me. Lately as a group, we have been talking a lot about how we are like these kids parents and when we forget about ourselves and our homes and everything else, we will truly begin to love them, and they will feel that love. They may not remember me years down the road, but they will remember the way they felt and the love that I have been so fortunate to give them.

No comments: